Painting Trade Licence Western Australia

Interested in this qualification?

    Any painter who wishes to do any painting work valued over $1,000, must be registered or licenced.
    WA categorises painters into one of two categories:

    • Contractor Registration means that the licence may provide painting services.
    • Practitioner Registration is issued to the registered painting contractor or nominated supervisor.

    The Building Services Board, a division of Western Australia’s Department of Commerce, regulates both licences.


    Individuals wishing to obtain a painting contractors licence in Western Australia must have one or more of the following qualifications:

    • CPC30620 Certificate III in Painting and Decorating plus the following units:
    • BSBSMB401 Establish Legal and Risk Management Requirements for Small Business and
    • CPCCBCC4004A Identify and Produce Estimated Costs for Building and Construction Projects
    • or equivalent qualifications
    • 52202 Course in Painters’ Registration or equivalent qualifications
    • 5+ years paint work experience with RPL recognition which deems it equivalent to the above qualifications.

    How to Apply

    The Building Commission website contains the application form as well as checklists and information about the applicable fees.
    Applications, along with the fees and supporting documents may be lodged at the Building Commission office in Cannington, WA, or by mail.
    If your application is rejected, your registration fee will be refunded.

    Need help with your Trade License?

    Fill out this form and we will contact you.

      The links below provide specific information by trade

      The links below will let you know which qualification you will need to get your trade license. Alternatively, fill out the GET IN TOUCH form or
      call 1300 535 922 and one of our trades specialists will help you get qualified

      The links below provide specific information by state.


      Alex Carry

      Superb platform. Brilliant experience with the quality staff and got approved with my trade license having CPC50220 Diploma of Building and Construction course.


      Rico Henry

      Organized, and trustworthy, and I recommend it to get the certification doing the course of CPC30620 Certificate III in Painting and decoration.


      Christopher Lewin

      As a construction worker, I got certified having enrolled with the course of Prepare to Work Safely in the Construction Industry from this wonderful platform.


      Jamie Stones

      I’m more advanced in my career having UEE3220 Certificate III in Air Conditioning and Refrigeration from this platform.