Carpentry Trade Licence South Australia

Interested in this qualification?

    Carpentry licences in South Australia are regulated by South Australia’s Consumer and Business Services (CBS). While there is no specific carpentry licence dictating the requirements of licensing and registration, it is categorised under the general building work category. The category covers various classifications of trade, construction and related work, which are all occupational licences for building.

    Building practitioners or skilled carpenters may apply for the following:

    • Building Contractor Licence –
      This licence allows you to legally contract or subcontract work, or carry out work on a property you intend to lease or sell on completion. All contractors in a partnership, as well as subcontractors require this licence.
    • Building Work Supervisor Registration –
      Registered building work supervisors are authorised to oversee general building work (complete building processes and more complex building activities), or specified building work (specific building process or building trade activity) to ensure standards are met. An individual who holds this licence may be nominated as approved building work supervisor for a construction company or individual contractor.


    The requirements for occupational licences that allow you to work as a carpenter depends on which subclass of licence you choose. SA carpentry licence falls under either the Building Contractor licence or the Building Work Supervisor Registration.

    To be eligible for a building work contractor licence, you must:

    • Meet the Building Work Contractors Act 1995 eligibility requirements, which include sufficient experience and industry knowledge, current qualifications, and adequate financial resources.
    • Nominate an approved building work supervisor or hold a building work supervisor registration that fits the scope of work specified in the contractor licence.

    In order to be registered as a building supervisor, you must:

    • Have the required qualifications and experience set out by the Building Work Contractors Act of 1995
    • Follow the standard registration conditions to:
    • guide you with specified building work registrations and work,
    • determine the conditions suitable to your work scope,
    • indicate the conditions and appropriate codes and pathway number in the application.

    How to Apply

    To work as a registered carpenter in South Australia, you must lodge an application for either the Building Work Supervisor or the Building Work Contractor. South Australia’s Consumer and Business Services (CBS) is the presiding regulatory authority for trade occupational licences.

    For the building work contractor licence, you must submit your application form, along with the following documentation and information:

    • Business qualifications
    • Financial information (depending on the type of licence)
    • Nomination of approved building work supervisor (unless you hold registration)
    • NPC certificate (exemptions apply)

    To apply for the general or specific building work supervisor registration, you must lodge the completed application along with the following supporting documents and details:

    • Detailed work history
    • Experience log
    • Qualifications, as evidenced by technical qualifications, trade certificates and evidence of experience.
    • Evidence of competency, as specified in Schedule 2, to indicate the types of work authorised on your registration. You may have to attend an interview to determine and further assess your technical skills and experience, unless you have obtained the required technical qualifications and trade certificates through apprenticeship.

    Next Steps for your General Concreting Licence

    Advance your career by working with the Skills Certified team. We help you earn an official qualification by taking into account your prior experience and abilities. This opens up doors for your career. If you are re-entering the workforce or want to change your career path, Skills Certified is the option for you. For carpenters, this means being able to take on larger projects within the building and construction industry.

    We make the process of licensing easy by connecting you with educated people who can provide targeted advice based on your personal requirements and professional goals.

    Feel free to get in touch with our team to discuss your needs and understand how we can assist you. One of our team members will contact you if you call us at 1300 535 922 or email us at

    Need help with your Trade License?

    Fill out this form and we will contact you.

      The links below provide specific information by trade

      The links below will let you know which qualification you will need to get your trade license. Alternatively, fill out the GET IN TOUCH form or
      call 1300 535 922 and one of our trades specialists will help you get qualified

      The links below provide specific information by state.


      Alex Carry

      Superb platform. Brilliant experience with the quality staff and got approved with my trade license having CPC50220 Diploma of Building and Construction course.


      Rico Henry

      Organized, and trustworthy, and I recommend it to get the certification doing the course of CPC30620 Certificate III in Painting and decoration.


      Christopher Lewin

      As a construction worker, I got certified having enrolled with the course of Prepare to Work Safely in the Construction Industry from this wonderful platform.


      Jamie Stones

      I’m more advanced in my career having UEE3220 Certificate III in Air Conditioning and Refrigeration from this platform.