Carpentry Trade Licence Northern Territory

Interested in this qualification?

    The Building Practitioners Board handles building practitioner registration in Norther Territory. Registration is required for all residential work valued at over $12,000.
    A registered building contractor is required for:

    • building work relating to a new single house / duplex, townhouse or residential unit of any height.
    • building work carried out on garages, verandas, or carports that form part of new residential units or single dwellings.
    • retaining walls for residential units or single houses.
    • extensions to existing residential units or houses.

    You do not need builder registration for:

    • free-standing fences or sheds
    • alterations or renovations to existing buildings that exclude expanding the floor area.
    • building work completed on industrial or commercial buildings.
    • Retaining walls that are not for residential units or single houses.

    In order to enter into contracts equalling more than $12,000 and to advertise his services, a carpenter requires the following registrations and licences:

    • Building Contractor Residential (Unrestricted)
    • Building Contractor Residential (Restricted)


    The general requirements for the Building Contractor Residential (Unrestricted) registration include:

    • Specified qualifications
    • 3+ years worth of practical experience
    • 3+ independent references

    The general requirements for the Building Contractor Residential (Restricted) registration include:

    • Completion of specified units in Certificate IV in Building/Certificate IV in Building and Construction OR, completion of units of a course that meets the statement of attainment of required competency requirements,
    • 3+ years of relevant experience

    How to Apply

    Lodge your application at the Territory Business Centre (TBC) in person, or submit it via email or standard mail.
    The Australian building and construction industry is highly regulated, which results in the highest quality of international standards. The above processes outline how you can obtain your builder’s licence by state.
    It’s good to remember that other options do exist. Experienced individuals need not be required to spend any unnecessary time in the classroom.
    Recognition of Prior Learning provides a legitimate opportunity to reward individuals who have obtained the required skills and experience by means of providing non-classroom-based evidence towards meeting the outcomes demanded by the relevant qualification.
    ITEC Australia can help you understand how RPL can make available the qualifications you need to push your career to the next level.

    Need help with your Trade License?

    Fill out this form and we will contact you.

      The links below provide specific information by trade

      The links below will let you know which qualification you will need to get your trade license. Alternatively, fill out the GET IN TOUCH form or
      call 1300 535 922 and one of our trades specialists will help you get qualified

      The links below provide specific information by state.


      Alex Carry

      Superb platform. Brilliant experience with the quality staff and got approved with my trade license having CPC50220 Diploma of Building and Construction course.


      Rico Henry

      Organized, and trustworthy, and I recommend it to get the certification doing the course of CPC30620 Certificate III in Painting and decoration.


      Christopher Lewin

      As a construction worker, I got certified having enrolled with the course of Prepare to Work Safely in the Construction Industry from this wonderful platform.


      Jamie Stones

      I’m more advanced in my career having UEE3220 Certificate III in Air Conditioning and Refrigeration from this platform.