24/7 hotline
  • Monday to Friday 9 AM to 6 PM

Air-Conditioning & Refrigeration Licence Victoria

What license do I need to work as an Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic in Victoria?

To work as an Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic, you will need:

  • Refrigerant Handling Licence from Australian
  • Refrigeration Council (ARC) Restricted Electrical Worker’s Licence from Energy Safe Victoria

How do I become an Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic in Victoria?

To work as an Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic in Victoria, you’ll need:

  • A Certificate III in Air-conditioning and Refrigeration
  • Completed apprenticeship


Completion of Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) or equivalent

Strong understanding of Mathematics, English and Chemistry

Certificate II in Electrotechnology studies (Pre-vocational or Careerstart)

Certificate IV in Refrigeration and Air-conditioning Systems

What does an Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic do?

  • Establishing job requirements from drawings and specifications
  • Laying out installation reference points
  • Drilling holes, installing mounting brackets and cutting, bending and threading piping
  • Installing and repairing components such as compressors, motors, condensers, evaporators, switches and gauges, and copper lines for steam, gas, refrigerant, compressed air, oil and chilled water
  • Bolting, soldering, riveting, welding and brazing pipes to connect equipment, and checking alignment and accuracy of fit
  • Filling systems with gas or fluid to check for leaks
  • Testing refrigeration systems, checking mechanisms and making adjustments
  • Removing test gas and fluid using vacuum pumps, and filling with refrigerant
  • Checking and overhauling refrigeration systems, diagnosing faults and repairing and replacing defective components
  • Adjusting system controls and mechanisms and reassembling systems

Please contact your state’s licensing body for up to date information as requirements do change. ITEC Australia is not an RTO or licensing body

Need help with your Trade License?

Fill out this form and we will contact you.

The links below provide specific information by industries

The links below will let you know which qualification you will need to get your licence. Alternatively, fill out the GET IN TOUCH form or
call 1300 535 922 and one of our specialists will help you get qualified