Plumbing & Drainage Trade Licence Victoria

Interested in this qualification?

    In order to perform any plumbing-related work in Australia, you have to follow the rules of the state regulatory body. For Victoria, this is the Victorian Building Authority (VBA). The VBA regulates the construction and building industry, including obtaining registration, plumbing licence and sufficient insurance to protect your customers and yourself.

    You can work in both commercial and residential settings with this licence. This licence allows you to install and repair water piping, gasfitting, fire protection, and air conditioning and draining systems. If you are registered, employers can trust you as a dependable professional who is familiar with industry standards and practices.

    Performing any plumbing work without a plumbing licence will result in serious penalties. Licensing is categorised by class, and you have to be registered for every class in which you intend to perform plumbing work, including water supply, gasfitting, drainage, irrigation (non-agricultural), sanitation, and roofing. Before applying for a plumbing licence in Victoria, you need to know exactly which classes of licence are suitable for your job. The classes include:

    • Type A Appliance Servicing
    • Type A Appliance Conversion
    • Type B Gasfitting
    • Type B Gasfitting Advanced
    • Refrigerated Air Conditioning
    • Backflow Prevention


    Every state has its own set of rules and regulations. This is done to ensure that all plumbers are educated and trained to the same standard. To be eligible for a plumbing licence in Victoria, you need to complete all of the following:

    • Application process
    • Existing registration for specialised plumbing work
    • Successful completion of VBA licence examination
    • Sufficient insurance

    How to Apply

    Simply follow the steps below to apply for your plumbing licence in Victoria, or for a specialised class of plumbing work:

    • Download, print and complete the Plumbing Licence Application form.
    • Complete recognition of interstate, New Zealand or overseas qualifications.
    • Include your supporting documents, including the National Police Checking Service Informed Consent Form.
    • Add any relevant documentation, if requested.
    • Pay the required fees.
    • Submit your application in person or by mail.

    Next Steps for your Licence

    The ITEC team can assist you in obtaining an official qualification by taking into account your prior experience, education, and skills. Recognition of prior learning means that you can get certifications and apply for licences on the basis of your previous experience. You can advance your career if you want to pursue other career possibilities or re-enter the industry after a break.

    We make the licensing process easier for you by connecting you with experts who can provide you with personalised advice based on your professional background and objectives.

    Please contact our team to see how we can assist you. Please contact us at 1300 535 922 or

    Need help with your Trade License?

    Fill out this form and we will contact you.

      The links below provide specific information by trade

      The links below will let you know which qualification you will need to get your trade license. Alternatively, fill out the GET IN TOUCH form or
      call 1300 535 922 and one of our trades specialists will help you get qualified

      The links below provide specific information by state.


      Alex Carry

      Superb platform. Brilliant experience with the quality staff and got approved with my trade license having CPC50220 Diploma of Building and Construction course.


      Rico Henry

      Organized, and trustworthy, and I recommend it to get the certification doing the course of CPC30620 Certificate III in Painting and decoration.


      Christopher Lewin

      As a construction worker, I got certified having enrolled with the course of Prepare to Work Safely in the Construction Industry from this wonderful platform.


      Jamie Stones

      I’m more advanced in my career having UEE3220 Certificate III in Air Conditioning and Refrigeration from this platform.