Painting Trade Licence Victoria

Interested in this qualification?

    The state of Victoria does not issue specific painting licences, however, tradespeople who wish to advertise, conduct, subcontract or contract residential paint work must be registered under the Domestic Builder – Limited (DB-L) licence class, with a supplementary Q code, which authorises them to perform sundry works. Sundry includes painting and plastering as well as other building related work.


    To obtain the Domestic Builder – Limited (DB-L) licence, you must have a CPC30620 Certificate III in Painting and Decorating. If you don’t have this qualification, you must have your painting and decorating skills assessed against the competency units in the course.
    The Victorian Building Authority will assess you based on the information and evidence you provide on your statement of experience and your knowledge of the Australian Standards and National Construction Code. You will have to provide evidence of your experience, which includes a minimum of four different residential painting and decorating projects.

    How to Apply

    The Victorian Domestic Builder – Limited (DB-L) licence registration process is uncomplicated.

    • Obtain and complete the application form and checklist provided on the VBA website.
    • Download and complete the National Police Checking Service Informed Consent Form.
    • Submit the above documents as well as a Technical Referee Report and supporting documents to the VBA.

    Visit the Victorian Building Authority in person, or mail your application to them. If accepted, you will receive an acceptance letter with your next steps.

    Need help with your Trade License?

    Fill out this form and we will contact you.

      The links below provide specific information by trade

      The links below will let you know which qualification you will need to get your trade license. Alternatively, fill out the GET IN TOUCH form or
      call 1300 535 922 and one of our trades specialists will help you get qualified

      The links below provide specific information by state.


      Alex Carry

      Superb platform. Brilliant experience with the quality staff and got approved with my trade license having CPC50220 Diploma of Building and Construction course.


      Rico Henry

      Organized, and trustworthy, and I recommend it to get the certification doing the course of CPC30620 Certificate III in Painting and decoration.


      Christopher Lewin

      As a construction worker, I got certified having enrolled with the course of Prepare to Work Safely in the Construction Industry from this wonderful platform.


      Jamie Stones

      I’m more advanced in my career having UEE3220 Certificate III in Air Conditioning and Refrigeration from this platform.